- Large Spacious Room with private bath
- Queen Size Bed with decorative fireplace
- Wireless Internet
- Full Sit down Breakfast
One of Rogersville’s early prominent citizens was James Woods Rogan— a school teacher, merchant, farmer, land developer, deacon, and elder of the Rogersville Presbyterian Church, the town’s first historian who took time to write his memoirs which became a valuable resource material for succeeding generations. More…
Among the oldest pieces of furniture in the Hale Springs Inn are a bed and dresser that were donated to the Inn by his family.
James married Margaret McKinney, daughter of John A. McKinney, from whom she inherited a thriving grocery and hardware business in 1845. Rogan assumed operation of the business and continued its operation until 1883 when his son, A. B. Rogan, acquired the property.
James Woods Rogan was the first of the Rogan family to settle in Rogersville. He was the eldest of nine children born to James and Sarah Netherland Rogan.
Early in life, James Woods Rogan moved to Talladega, AL, with his parents, but he returned to Tennessee to complete his education. He was in the 1844 graduating class at U-T. He taught school for a time but was dissatisfied with it, allowing that he “would rather split rails than keep school.”
In 1859, he published a series of memoirs and sketches of early life in Rogersville in Robert D. Powel’s State Sentinel. He founded Rogan Hardware Co. which operated in Rogersville until 1947.
Rogan and A. P. Caldwell developed and opened one of the first additions to the town of Rogersville on a tract of land bounded on the north by the Town Knobs, on the east by Hasson St., on the south by the Presbyterian Church property and on the west by the Federal Spring tract.
James Woods Rogan died in 1891, at the home of his daughter Fanny (Mrs. J. Lynn) Bachman in Sweetwater, Tennessee.